Child safeguarding

MYT’s most important job is to make sure that all young people are safe from harm. In legal talk, this used to be called Child Protection but is now called Safeguarding Children and Young People.

Young people includes anyone under 18. There is different information that you can have if you are over 18.


Section 11 of the Children’s Act 2004 says that all professionals that are working with young people that they are really worried about need to talk to each other and do something to stop the child or young person being harmed or abused.



Safeguarding is broken down into 4 main categories. They are;

  • Neglect is when a child or young person isn’t given the basic things that they need to grow up well. This can include food, warmth, stability and love and somewhere to live.
  • Physical abuse is when a child or young person is being hurt in a physical way. This includes hitting, burning, shaking and having things thrown at them.
  • Sexual abuse is when any child or young person is made to do sexual things that they don’t want to do or aren’t old enough to make the decision. The law says that anyone under 13 isn’t old enough to make the decision. It is still abuse if you are over 13 and you don’t want to do it or if the person you are with is over 16. This also include taking photos, watching films or if someone is involved in sexual acts on the internet.
  • Emotional abuse is when someone who looks after you is constantly saying things that make you feel bad or upsets you. This can include name calling, humiliation or having to watch someone else being abused that you care about.


The support that young people get with Medway Youth Trust is confidential. That means that we will not talk to anyone outside of Medway Youth Trust about you unless you give us permission to.



If any member of staff or volunteer think that you or another person is at risk of being harmed or abused we will still need to tell someone that could help. We will usually tell you that we are going to do this but if we think telling you would put you in more danger we will try and get you help without letting you know first.



Depending on what type of harm or abuse we are worried about, we might contact any of these:

  • Your local Social Care Team
  • The Safeguarding Officer in your school
  • Police


If you are worried about yourself or any of your friends or family then talk to an Adviser. They will make sure that someone else knows and can try and help you.

You can also phone ChildLine for free on 0800 1111 or visit their website and speak to a counsellor online.

ChildLine are there 24 hours a day.

If you would like to view an easy read version of this information, please follow this link.


Help us by sharing this post
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Tweet this
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Google
  • LinkedIn